Sunday, September 10, 2017

Grain and Vegetable Soup




This soup is a variation of this other veggie soup that I posted previously. This one is loosely based on Bob's Red Mill Veggi soup mix. I call it grain soup because I make it with whatever little bits of grains I have leftover in the pantry on the day I am making it. I will write up what I used today, but you can use pretty much anything, just make sure you have about a cup total of the grains.

I also just use whatever veggies I have on hand, but always at least onions and usually carrots and often celery, but not always. Today I added kale, but I also love this soup with regular ol' cabbage. Summer squash, tomatoes, radishes, potatoes or anything else can also be used.


Grain and Vegetable Soup


Olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 small or 1 big carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/4 cup bulgur
1/4 cup barley
1/4 cup split peas
1/4 cup brown rice
8-10 cups water
1 bunch kale
Better than bouillion soup base to taste (or use half broth half water)

Cook the onion, carrot, and celery in the oil in a large soup pot until soft and starting to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stir in the grains and coat with the veggies and oil. Add 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. After it boils, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover the pot, and cook, stirring every 20 minutes or so, until the grains are tender. Depending on what you used this can take from 1-3 hours.

When the grains are tender, or nearly so, add in the soup base to your desired level. For 8 cups of water I'd start with about 1/2 Tbsp and add more if you think it needs it. If the soup seems too thick at this point, you can add more water.

Stir in the kale and continue simmering until it's done, about 10-15 minutes. 

Again, you can use any grains or veggies you have on hand in this soup. If you want them to maintain some of their freshness, add them near the end with the kale. If you like them mushier (like sweet potatoes, maybe) add them earlier on in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment