Sunday, August 13, 2017

Vegetable Bean Soup with Bulgur



I feel like I should post this soup because it really is a staple for me. More a method than a recipe, I eat this almost every day. I literally use whatever veggies I have in the fridge, I will try to post some types and quantities below.



Vegetable Bean Soup with Bulgur

2 tsp Olive Oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced or sliced
1-2 stalks of  celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use no-salt added)
1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
1 14 oz can beans of choice, rinsed (kidney, white, pinto, black, whatever you have)
4 cups kale, cabbage, spinach or other greens of choice
8 cups water
4 tsp (or to taste) Better than Bouillion Vegetable base, or 1/2 water 1/2 veggie broth of choice


Heat the oil over medium heat in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until pretty soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and paprika, cook and stir for an additional minute.

Add water, tomatoes, and bulgur and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes. Add the greens and beans, and simmer for about 10 more minutes. Taste and add Better than Bouillion to taste. If using broth and water, use 1/2 water 1/2 broth instead of 8 cups of water. Adjust salt as needed.

I like to keep a big batch of this soup in the fridge pretty much all the time. I eat it for breakfast most days. You can easily vary this by using different veggies, adding herbs, and using different grains.

No comments:

Post a Comment