Monday, December 14, 2009

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Shallots


Over the past few years I have been experimenting with new ways to cook Brussels sprouts. Thanks to Tequilarista for giving me the idea to try cooking them with bacon! These were delicious.

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Shallots

1 Slice Bacon
1 Small Shallot, sliced
1/4 Cup Water
Pinch Sugar
Salt and Pepper
Brussels Sprouts, whole, halved, or quartered depending on size. (I forgot to weigh my brussels sprouts before I started, but I had about 3 cups or so.)

Chop/slice the bacon and cook it over medium-low to medium heat until crispy. Remove from the pan to drain on a paper towel. Drain off all but about 2 tsp of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes, add in the brussels sprouts, sugar, salt and pepper and sautee for about 5 minutes to get some color going. Add in the water and cook until it has evaporated, stirring occasionally. At this point the sprouts should be cooked through. Just continue cooking until they are as nicely browned as you like them, sprinkle with the reserved bacon and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment