Sunday, August 13, 2017

Zoodle (or spaghetti squash) Chow Mein




I love noodles! All kinds of  noodles! In soups, with Asian flavors, with Italian flavors, I love them all. But when I started cooking and eating more vegan food, my goal was also to eat fewer processed foods and more whole foods.

SO...I have turned to some veggie noodle-alternatives with pretty good success. I love spaghetti squash, but to me it's not really noodle-like. I do eat it a lot, especially in winter, but it doesn't really feel like a noodle-replacement to me. Zoodles (spiralized zucchini or other summer squash) on the other hand, totally do it for me. Lightly sauteed in olive or sesame oil, depending on the final application, they mimic the texture of real pasta enough to satisfy me. If you haven't yet, I think you should give them a try.

I have suggested some veggies in the recipe below, but you can use pretty much anything. For me, the bean sprouts are imperative. If you don't have them, you can still make this dish, but call it 'Zoodle Stir Fry' or 'Amazingly Awesome Asian Veggies' or whatever you want. :)


Zoodle (or spaghetti squash) Chow Mein


1 tsp neutral oil
2 1/2 cups zoodles or cooked spaghetti squash
1/2 cup sliced onion
1 carrot, sliced
2 cups bok choy or cabbage or napa cabbage (or whatever greens you have in the fridge)
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp chopped fresh ginger (or 3/4 tsp dried)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
2 tsp brown sugar or other sweetener of choice
1/8 cup soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil


Combine the sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil and set aside.

Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger and garlic.  Add your greens (and any other veg you are using, and cook until nearly done, but not quite. Stir in the zoodles or spaghetti squash and cook for about 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in the sauce and the bean sprouts and you should be good to go.




No comments:

Post a Comment