Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Irish Soda Bread


St. Patrick's day is one week from today, so over the next little while I will be posting some of my favorite St. Paddy's recipes.

When I was growing up, St. Patrick's day was a huge deal in our house. We got new green clothes, and my mom always threw a big party with corned beef and all the fixings.

This is her recipe for Soda Bread. She always made 2 loaves, one with caraway seeds for the grown-ups, and one without for the kids. I must admit, however, that even though I can't claim to be a kid anymore, I still prefer my soda bread without the caraway seeds. You should make it whichever way you will enjoy it!


2 Cups Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Caraway Seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp Oil
1 Cup Milk

Preheat oven to 350

Lightly grease an 8-inch cake pan

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and caraway seeds (if using) in a medium bowl. Combine the oil and milk in a measuring cup. Pour the milk and oil into the flour mixture and stir to combine. It will be pretty sticky. Pat the dough into your prepared cake pan and bake in the 350 oven until nicely browned and a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

For a printer-friendly version of this recipe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment