Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Black Bean, Bulgur, and Roasted Veggie Enchilada Casserole



Sometimes the  hardest part about getting dinner on the table is deciding what to make. That is why I am a fan of 'theme days' like Taco Tuesday. I don't usually make tacos on Tuesday, but I do make Mexican food pretty often. Last night we had this delicious enchilada casserole. I made it with bulgur and black beans, but other grains and beans would work as well. In fact, I wanted to use quinoa, but I didn't have enough so I used bulgur instead. Also, any veggies you have on hand will work, but I will list what I used this time below.

Black Bean, Bulgur, and Roasted Veggie Enchilada Casserole


Corn tortillas
chopped onions or green onions

for the veggies: 

1 small head cauliflower
1/2 orange bell pepper
2 small carrots
1 onion 
2 button mushrooms (use more if you have them, I only had 2)
2-3 tsp olive oil
chili powder
cumin
Mexican oregano
salt 
pepper

for the bulgur:

1/2 cup dry bulgur
1 cup veggie broth
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

Cut up the veggies as desired and toss with the olive oil and seasonings to taste. Roast in a 350 oven until done, about 25 minutes.

Bring the broth to a boil in a small sauce pan. Stir in the bulgur, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered until done, about 15 mintues. Stir in the black beans.

To assemble: 

Ladle about 1/2 cup of sauce into the bottom of an 8x8 or similar baking dish. Put down a layer of tortillas. I usually tear them in half and put the cut side out to make them fit better in the dish. Then another layer of sauce, a layer of the bulgur, a layer of the veggies, a sprinkle of onions, more sauce. 

Repeat until you are out of stuff, ending with a layer of tortillas covered with sauce. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Let sit for a bit before you cut into it. Serve it with whatever toppings you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment