Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pot Roast : remodel dinner #19






This one was a big hit. After having less than zero energy or motivation to cook the previous night, yesterday I decided to take a leap of faith and make a pot roast in the electric skillet. I had read myriad rave reviews about the process on line but remained skeptical. I also remained hungry for a good dinner, so I decided to give it a go.

This was a somewhat simplified version of my usual pot roast recipe. I bought about a 3 1/2 boneless chuck roast. Heated up the skillet to 350 and browned the roast on all sides after sprinkling liberally with salt and pepper all over.

I removed the roast back to the paper it came in (It's going to cook for at least 3 hours, any buggies it picks back up will be killed!) And sauteed one large diced onion for about 5 minutes. Then I added one can of beef broth and one can of diced tomatoes, with their juice, and a few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce.
Brought this up to a boil and returned to roast right in the center. I put on the lid and let it cook for about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Some quartered red potatoes and one-inch pieces of carrots went in, the lid went back on, and the whole thing cooked for about another hour. It turned out great! We really enjoyed it. I served it with fresh French Bread and roasted broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment