Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rice Pilaf


My mom taught me how to make this rice dish when I was a young girl. I always think of it in my mind as "homemade rice-a-roni". But, unlike the boxed stuff, this version is not salty and is just as easy to prepare!

The recipe is best made with angel hair or spaghetti, but I was out of both and substituted the linguine you will see in the photos. It turned out fine, but I would still recommend a thinner pasta.

Rice Pilaf

1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1-2 oz Spaghetti or Angel Hair Pasta, Broken into 2-inch Pieces
1 Cup White Rice
1 3/4 Cup Stock (Veggie, Chicken, or Beef)
3/4 Cup Water

Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then stir in the broken up pasta. Cook, stirring often, until the pasta is browned, 5-7 minutes. Add the rice, and stir to coat with the fat. Slowly pour in the stock and the water and stir everything around. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes, checking every 10 minutes or so. If it is cooking too fast, add more liquid and reduce the heat. Let stand, covered, at least 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving.
For a printer-friendly version of this recipe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment