Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Roasted Beets

As a CSA member, there are a lot of beets in my house. I have to admit, for about the first two years of my membership I was deathly afraid of the things. Never ate them. I gave them all away. But then, one year, I got brave and made this recipe. And boy am I glad I finally did! It did the trick for both my husband and me. We became beet fans, and now eat them pretty regularly in a variety of ways. But this preparation is super simple and brings out the sweetness quite nicely!

Roasted Beets



Beets, cut into chunks or wedges if they are big
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Fresh Rosemary Sprigs

I didn't list quantities because you can make as many or as few as you want. Put the beets in a bowl (or directly on a foil-lined baking sheet - less clean up) and drizzle with some olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and toss well with your hands to get all of the beets coated with a bit of the oil. Now spread the beets out on the baking sheet and tuck sprigs of rosemary among them. Roast in the oven until nice and tender and beginning to caramelize, 40-60 minutes depending on the size of your beets and the oven temperature. If I am only roasting beets, I go pretty high at about 425. But if you are cooking something else at the same time that requires a lower temperature, no problem. The beets will just take a little longer to cook. I cooked these at 350, and they took about 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment